Experiencing payment issues?
If you have approached this site from Google search, Whatsapp, Facebook, Instagram or LinkedIn, you may experience issues with iDeal and Bancontact payments. Please approach the website by directly entering the full address www.datejustbook.com in your browser and then placing your order. This should resolve the issue. If not, clear your cache first. Credit card payments always work, regardless of traffic source.
About the book
An ambitious attempt to capture the magic of forty-five years of Rolex Datejust.
What is it about?
The book covers the history of the Rolex Datejust between its introduction in 1945 and 1990.
Some historic context is provided before describing all the significant generations of Datejusts that were introduced between ‘45 and ‘90, starting with Ref. 4467 and ending with the first sapphire crystal models.
You will find an extensive buying guide with tips and tricks to empower you to evaluate vintage Datejusts and avoid issues such as fakes, poor restoration jobs, and unoriginal parts.
Tables of references, calibers, bracelets and more are included for quick and easy referencing, combined with detailed macro and microscope images to help you identify the correct parts for your watch.
Of course you can also just skip through the pages and admire all sorts of beautiful common, not-so-common, and downright exotic Datejusts, photographed by the author and a select group of vintage dealers and collectors who have contributed to the book.
Table of contents
Ordering a book sight-unseen can be uncomfortable. Have a look at the table of contents to see if this work covers what you are looking for.
Why Rolex Datejust?
Why this book?
- Methodology and disclaimer
Limitations in sources of information
- The watch world before Datejust
Rolex during the war
Rolex before Datejust
- Rolex Datejust generations
Ref. 4467 – Where it all began
The 5030 & 5031 references
The 6xxx references
The Datejust Turn-O-Graph
The 65xx Lady Datejust
The 16xx references
The 68xx and 69xx Midsize and Lady Datejust
The Oysterquartz Datejust
The 16xxx references
The 68xxx and 69xxx references
The 162xx references
- Buying a vintage Datejust
Why some pragmatism makes sense
The myth of the unpolished watch
- Popular models and features compared
16xx vs. 16xxx vs. 162xx
68xx vs. 68xxx
69xx vs. 69xxxx
Acrylic vs. Sapphire crystals
- The parts that make a Datejust
Dials & hands
Boxes & papers
- Value development
A vintage Datejust as an investment
- Datejust reference list
- Serial number list
- Release 1st print: late march 2022
- Language: English
- No. of pages: 219
- Type: Hardcover in landscape orientation
- Dimensions: A4 landscape, 18mm thick
- Warning: the font is quite small in order to fit all the content in a compact package. If you have trouble reading small typeface, this might not be the book for you.
- Legal note: This book is not endorsed, supported or acknowledged by Rolex or any of its affiliates in any way, shape or form. It is the fruit of one independent author’s labor and ideas. All information presented should be interpreted as the author’s vision. The content has been professionally checked for legal compliance and copyright infringement and all rights owners are credited in the book. This is not a Rolex product.